Post #1 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:44 PM

Finally finished this the other night:

Finished_F4_B_4_10_High_192.jpg

Finished_F4_B_4_8_192.jpg

Finished_F4_B_4_10_192.jpg

Believe it or not, I purchased this kit in 1992. It's been boxed-up ever since. I decided to complete it so that I could gain some insight into Jenkins' use of monofilament as faux-bracing on his biplane models. Having finished this old model, I've got a better understanding of where he's coming from. The material is very easy to work with and can be tightened up with a hair-dryer. It's also nice and stout once it's in place. I believe that most collectors would rather that he use some type of wire, but that would be MUCH more expensive. Also, wire crimps when it's abused. This stuff has little if any "memory" to it, making it almost ideal for this type of application.

-Moe

Post #2 Duke

Duke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:45 PM

That's a beauty.  Well done.

Duke

Post #3 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:04 PM

That's a beauty.  Well done.

Well, thank you Duke. I genuinely appreciate the compliment. To tell you the truth, completing a kit like this is a little more like building a model car than an airplane or AFV. Any sort of weathering should be absolutely minimal as the aircraft were so well-maintained. On the other hand, there is a lot of surface area that needs a nice uniform finish. Any sort of blemish in the paint kind of FUBARs the whole project, so care needs to be taken when doing the spray work. I enjoyed building and finishing this old bird, and it looks great on display in my study.

-Moe

Post #4 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:27 AM

very nice work. Could you elaborate more on the use of monofilament  and where could I get it ? I'm thinking about building a WW1 plane in near future.

Post #5 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

Very good mate and very clever.

Thanks Wayne,

I have to attribute the inspiration to JJD, though.

-Moe

Post #6 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

very nice work. Could you elaborate more on the use of monofilament  and where could I get it ? I'm thinking about building a WW1 plane in near future.

Hi cnq,

It's really just fishing line. The stuff comes in various diameters and is manufactured by a number of companies. Part of what I wanted to accomplish with this model was to establish which "test" of line to use for which purpose on the model. My conclusions were that 20-pound line is great for heavy wires, 12-pound line good for medium gauges and 4-pound line works for antennas. If there's a Walmart in your area, the sporting goods section ought to have a nice selection including all three of those types. Here's a another pic that shows the "bracing" more clearly:

1_F4_B_4_10_High_150.jpg

-Moe

Post #7 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:03 PM

Thanks Moe

Post #8 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Moe

Glad to be of help. Here are some more of the original pics of the model:

2_F4_B_4_2_150.jpg

3_F4_B_4_12_150.jpg

4_F4_B_4_9_150.jpg

5_F4_B_4_8_High_150.jpg

BTW, a friend from another forum contacted me about the paint on the bottom of the ailerons. I subsequently painted both of the surfaces orange-yellow.

-Moe

Post #9 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,567 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:25 AM

Great work
Neil

Post #10 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 12:55 AM

Great work

Thanks Neil. Really appreciate the feedback. :)

-Moe

Post #11 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:46 PM

Again very very nice work there Moe. I like it a lot.

Post #12 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2015 - 03:58 PM

Again very very nice work there Moe. I like it a lot.

Thanks CNQ, that means a lot coming from a TRULY skilled modeler like you. B)

-Moe

Post #13 Leadmen

Leadmen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:49 AM

Thanks for the pics of your nice model. Excellent work and painting. John

Post #14 Guest_ivanmoe_*

Guest_ivanmoe_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for the pics of your nice model. Excellent work and painting. John

Really appreciate your generous comment, John. Forty-five years ago, I'd have rigged the model with rayon thread. The stuff drove me crazy because it would eventually commence to sag. It didn't seem to matter how carefully I placed it or how tightly that it was initially secured. Thank goodness that the materials end of the hobby has advanced since then. Oh, and the activity on the thread that your post generated has reminded me that I have to drill some holes in a wing. Thanks!

-Moe

Reply to this topic