London Toy Soldier Show March 2016

30 replies to this topic

Post #21 Guest_Gazza_*

Guest_Gazza_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 03:39 PM

GAZZA -- do you know who does the Renaissance Knight in the photo below? (Is he a Spaniard? or Italian perhaps?)

And who does these Medieval Knights? I might well be wrong, but they don't look like kit figures.

Thanks

H

H

The Company that sells both the figures at the LTSS is called Ace Miniatures.

They have a large selection of castings / kits on display; some are painted up to a very high standard.

I thought those two that I posted were the most striking.

They also had a Teutonic knight but the picture did not come out well.

Cheers

Gazza

Post #22 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

These look extremely well done and might well find their way into my collection at some point late this year, or early next year. Wonder what the Sikhs will look like? If they're as good as these appear to be, then my hobby funds are toast..!!

I wish you well with these Harry but so far Centurion appears to be more promise that delivery.  They have been advertising a Peninsula oriented range for many months but so far the only items available are expensive and mundane poses from Petersburg.  Perhaps they will finally deliver.

Post #23 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 05:50 PM

H

The Company that sells both the figures at the LTSS is called Ace Miniatures.

They have a large selection of castings / kits on display; some are painted up to a very high standard.

I thought those two that I posted were the most striking.

They also had a Teutonic knight but the picture did not come out well.

Cheers

Gazza

Okay -- thanks

Post #24 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:21 PM

I wish you well with these Harry but so far Centurion appears to be more promise that delivery.  They have been advertising a Peninsula oriented range for many months but so far the only items available are expensive and mundane poses from Petersburg.  Perhaps they will finally deliver.

Well it's not as if I want them tomorrow anyway. I've way too many commitments right now and early next year is fine by me.

I'm paid in US$ and not prepared to pay 50GBP and upward per basic toy foot figure from the UK at today's exchange rates. So by the time I'm ready to buy them the exchange rates will most likely have swung back in my favor -- given that all financial forecasts pan out of course.

The Sikh Cavalry would be that bit different though and I'd be extremely interested in using them as part of Brigadier Nicholson's Delhi Movable Column once FL "give" me my Sepoy Mutiny range.

It's coming -- I've consulted the chicken entrails, rolled the bones, and I've seen it through the ether conjured up inside my crystal ball -- it's coming....

Post #25 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:06 PM

I am pulling for you Harry.  I can almost picture some of the fantastic scenes you can build when you get those. :D  B)

Post #26 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2016 - 08:49 PM

I am pulling for you Harry.  I can almost picture some of the fantastic scenes you can build when you get those. :D  B)

So can I.

I've been picturing them for years.

Post #27 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

So can I.

I've been picturing them for years.

LOL, I have no doubt of that mate. :D

Post #28 Guest_Gazza_*

Guest_Gazza_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 06:00 PM

Bill

Are you aware that Centurion also produce Cold Steel Miniatures? The 5 units they have produced for the Napoleonic range all fought in the Peninsula.

Iwan, like you, is a big fan of the Peninsula War.

He has produced 4th Swiss Regiment, 43rd Monmouthshire Light Infantry, 2/87th Regiment of Foot "Prince of Wales Own Irish", French 86eme Regiment d'infanterie de ligne and recently the Empress Dragoons.

So I am not sure your criticism of Centurion is fair.

I do not believe Hobby Bunker stock them but George at Minuteman does.

Cheers

Gazza

Post #29 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 07:32 PM

Yes I am aware and I stand by it Gaz.  The Cold Steel line started with promise but it seems a bit stalled at present.  I haven't seen any Empress Dragoons and they do not as yet appear available for order.  Honestly they are an odd choice of units for the Peninsula.  They were only briefly there with Napoleon, who was also only briefly there.  There are many better choices for a Dragoon Unit for the Peninsula.  I do appreciate the Company is small but I would have liked to see more releases with more pose variations by this point.  One of the releases you mentioned, the 43rd, actually has two sizes of figures, one rather small and one equivalent to FLs first British and French units.  I bought a couple of the Brits from George but the French do little for me and poses for each release really are limited.  The Swiss and Irish Units only have a couple of action poses.  As I said, maybe they will get there.

Post #30 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2016 - 10:14 PM

Yes I am aware and I stand by it Gaz.  The Cold Steel line started with promise but it seems a bit stalled at present.  I haven't seen any Empress Dragoons and they do not as yet appear available for order.  Honestly they are an odd choice of units for the Peninsula.  They were only briefly there with Napoleon, who was also only briefly there.  There are many better choices for a Dragoon Unit for the Peninsula.  I do appreciate the Company is small but I would have liked to see more releases with more pose variations by this point.  One of the releases you mentioned, the 43rd, actually has two sizes of figures, one rather small and one equivalent to FLs first British and French units.  I bought a couple of the Brits from George but the French do little for me and poses for each release really are limited.  The Swiss and Irish Units only have a couple of action poses.  As I said, maybe they will get there.

Just how much smaller than FL are these figures then Bill? Do they work okay with FL, or would a collector have to get creative when using them in dioramas?

Post #31 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

Just how much smaller than FL are these figures then Bill? Do they work okay with FL, or would a collector have to get creative when using them in dioramas?

I think the Cold Steel size from I think number 6 on from their 43rd release works with even the new FL size fine.  It is perfect with the FL Guards and first French line releases.  As I understand it the first 6-7 figures they made were a bit of a mistake and not representative.  No doubt the standard ones are still a bit smaller than the now "standard" FL size but not enough to stand out if you display them randomly next to one another.  To refresh your memory, take a look at my review of their 43rd release here:

http://www.hobbybunk...hl=+cold +steel

Reply to this topic