School In Session

24 replies to this topic

Post #1 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:54 PM

Hey Guys,

School is back in session!  So dust off your history books and have a seat in your favorite chair in the classroom!  All of the quiz questions will center on the following topic areas: the Normandy campaign, Operation Market Garden and the Battle of the Bulge.  I had started this thread in spring of last year and had some members respond.  This time, however, I hope to have more responses to the quizzes from a broader spectrum of the forum members.  Now, pay attention in class, leave the girls alone and answer the following three quiz questions:

1.  Which British armored division captured the port of Antwerp in September 1944? 

2.  Name the aircraft used to drop 82nd Airborne Division and 101st Airborne Division paratroopers into Holland during Operation Market Garden

3.  Name the nine English airfields the 82nd Airborne Division used as "jumping off' points for flights into Holland during Operation Market Garden.

I will discuss with Alex the possibility of a prize for the member who answers the most questions correctly by June 6, 2015.  Please answer the questions by Sunday each week because I plan to post new questions each week on Mondays.

Thanks and I look forward to everyone's involvement!

Alex II

:)  B)

Post #2 Neil

Neil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:00 AM

Question two is DC3 Dakota
Neil

Post #3 guy

guy

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:01 AM

Permit me to contribute to the solution of these questions :

1.Antwerp was liberated by the 11th British Armoured Division

2. Airfields used by the 82nd Para were: Barkston, Balderton, Chalgrove, Cottesmore, Folkingham, Fullbeck, Langer, Saltby and Spanhoe

3. The airplane used to transport the 82nd  and the 101st was: the Douglas C-47" Skytrain"  Dakota

• Larry_B and Andanna like this
Battleground Art ....... history in the making

Post #4 mitch

mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:47 AM

Alex...

Keep the questions coming but, as for prizes I think we don't need any as we are a team that contributes to the development of threads etc and don't think we should have to have incentives to get people to post!!
Mitch

The truth will set us free

Post #5 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:10 AM

Permit me to contribute to the solution of these questions :

1.Antwerp was liberated by the 11th British Armoured Division

2. Airfields used by the 82nd Para were: Barkston, Balderton, Chalgrove, Cottesmore, Folkingham, Fullbeck, Langer, Saltby and Spanhoe

3. The airplane used to transport the 82nd  and the 101st was: the Douglas C-47" Skytrain"  Dakota

Guy,

Congratulations on scoring 100% on this quiz!  A new quiz will be posted on Monday.

Alex II :)

• Larry_B likes this

Post #6 guy

guy

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Alex II and don't worry about a prize, I don't want any prize,  I just want to share my knowledge with the other members .

guy

• Larry_B likes this

Post #7 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:11 AM

Just for the record I knew the answer to # 2....... Yaaaaay
  • Neil likes this

Post #8 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:55 AM

Just for the record I knew the answer to # 2....... Yaaaaay

What this tells me is that you were not paying attention in class during my history lecture.  That's two demerits for you!!! :)

Alex II

Post #9 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:15 AM

What this tells me is that you were not paying attention in class during my history lecture.  That's two demerits for you!!! :)

Alex II

:( And I thought I was finally doing well in WWII History class.

Post #10 Andanna

Andanna

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:54 AM

This highlights my problem with the modern era of our hobby: a lot of factual information is available. As Frank M. showed me (and possibly others) in the "Vignettes" thread: in WWII you can actually research pretty much each minute detail for a diorama. As my interest extends across millennia, I was not even aware the resources that Frank used were publicly available.

I compare this with the battle of Agincourt where after intense research, we still do not know how many French soldiers participated in the battle, where they exactly fought and what happened to the French standard, the Oriflamme just to pick some random basic questions.

I find both aspects of this hobby fascinating.
  • Larry_B likes this

Post #11 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:26 PM

Guys,

Professor Viking here with some quiz questions for you to answer!  And here they are:

1.  Name the bridges in Holland that American airborne divisions were responsible to capture to further the strategic goal of Operation Market Garden.

2.  Which bridges were assigned to the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions?

3.  What was the strategic importance of Arnhem, Holland to Operation Market Garden?

The quiz must be completed this week! :angry:

Post #12 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,862 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 07:27 PM

1 & 2

The 101st ABN had the bridges as Son and Veghel

The 82nd ABN had the bridges at Grave and Nijmegen

The British 1st ABN and The Polish 1st Abn Brigade The Bridge at Arnhem

This opened I believe a 63 mile corridor for XXX Corps to advance into Germany       Bad Plan.

3  It was the Gateway to the Ruhr.

Post #13 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

1 & 2

The 101st ABN had the bridges as Son and Veghel

The 82nd ABN had the bridges at Grave and Nijmegen

The British 1st ABN and The Polish 1st Abn Brigade The Bridge at Arnhem

This opened I believe a 63 mile corridor for XXX Corps to advance into Germany       Bad Plan.

3  It was the Gateway to the Ruhr.

Alex,

Congratulations on scoring 100% on the quiz!  A new quiz will be posted on Monday.

Viking

Post #14 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

Dear Students (ah, I mean collectors!)

Professor Viking has lied and is posting these quiz questions for you to answer by Monday.  Please, no groaning that you have homework this weekend!  Here they are:

1.  Germany started development of heavy Panzer designs in what year?

2.  What were these designs named?

3.  Was the design of the Tiger I tank initiated in response to the Russian T34 and KW tanks (true or false)?

Beer drinking is permitted while you take the quiz!  Good luck!!!

Professor Viking :)  ;)

Post #15 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2015 - 11:45 AM

Dear Students (ah, I mean collectors!)

Professor Viking has lied and is posting these quiz questions for you to answer by Monday.  Please, no groaning that you have homework this weekend!  Here they are:

1.  Germany started development of heavy Panzer designs in what year?

2.  What were these designs named?

3.  Was the design of the Tiger I tank initiated in response to the Russian T34 and KW tanks (true or false)?

Beer drinking is permitted while you take the quiz!  Good luck!!!

Professor Viking :)  ;)

School is permanently closed.

Thanks,

Alex II

Post #16 Guest_Jazzeum_*

Guest_Jazzeum_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:12 PM

School is permanently closed.

Thanks,

Alex II

Why? :huh:

Post #17 guy

guy

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

school is closed but I will answer the questions anyway

1.Germany started the design of the heavy tanks in 1937.First prototypes tested in 1941

2. names of the designs: Panther, Tiger I, Tiger -P ( 5 built), Tiger II ( King or Royal tiger),The Löwe ( none built-) The Maus( 2 built)

3. The design of the Tiger I was not built in response to the Russian T34, The Panther was the response to the T-34

guy

Post #18 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2015 - 07:46 AM

school is closed but I will answer the questions anyway

1.Germany started the design of the heavy tanks in 1937.First prototypes tested in 1941

2. names of the designs: Panther, Tiger I, Tiger -P ( 5 built), Tiger II ( King or Royal tiger),The Löwe ( none built-) The Maus( 2 built)

3. The design of the Tiger I was not built in response to the Russian T34, The Panther was the response to the T-34

guy

Guy,

Another perfect score-congratulations!

Alex II

Post #19 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2015 - 08:08 AM

Okay Guys,

School is back in session now that Professor Viking has returned from spring break.  Here is a new series of quiz questions for the members to answer-good luck! 

1.  Which German Panzer divisions (Wehrmacht and SS) faced Allied forces during Operation Market Garden?

2.  Ignoring the Scheldt caused what tactical issues during Market Garden?

3.  What were some of the challenges the Allied armies faced in the Market Garden corridor? 

Professor Viking :)

Post #20 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:30 PM

Okay Guys,

School is back in session now that Professor Viking has returned from spring break.  Here is a new series of quiz questions for the members to answer-good luck! 

1.  Which German Panzer divisions (Wehrmacht and SS) faced Allied forces during Operation Market Garden?

2.  Ignoring the Scheldt caused what tactical issues during Market Garden?

3.  What were some of the challenges the Allied armies faced in the Market Garden corridor? 

Professor Viking :)

No one seems interested in taking the quizzes.

Reply to this topic