Quiz Questions US Spies N Africa

67 replies to this topic

Post #21 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:53 PM

The 82nd Airborne - 1st Infantry - 1st Armored ?

Think of another infantry division!  It is not the 82nd Airborne Division.

Alex II

Post #22 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,860 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I would only be guessing...I dont know...I dont want to cheat and look it up either.

Post #23 Oldallamerican

Oldallamerican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

45th Division, too. and I think the 3rd Infantry as well.

Correction: I was thinking "Husky" - the invasion of Sicily. But I know the 3rd Herd was in Torch and I think the 2nd AD with 1st Infantry.  The 509th Airborne Infantry Battalion made the first combat jumps by US forces during Torch as well.

Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia

Post #24 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi Guys,

The three major divisions that took part in Operation Torch were the 1st Infantry (the "Big Red" One), the 1st Armored, and the 34th Infantry. 

Alex II

Post #25 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Continuing on with the North Africa campaign, here is a new question:  The 1st Armored Division was formed when and was known as what?

Thanks,

Alex

Post #26 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,860 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:06 AM

I know the 1st was known as Old Ironsides

Dont know the other part of the quiz

Post #27 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

I know the 1st was known as Old Ironsides

Dont know the other part of the quiz

The division was formed in 1940 and was indeed known as "Old Ironsides."  Alex, nicely done!

Alex II

Post #28 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

45th Division, too. and I think the 3rd Infantry as well.

Correction: I was thinking "Husky" - the invasion of Sicily. But I know the 3rd Herd was in Torch and I think the 2nd AD with 1st Infantry.  The 509th Airborne Infantry Battalion made the first combat jumps by US forces during Torch as well.

Oldallamerican,

Questions about the Italian campaign will be posted later this month.  I am sticking to a historical timeline so that the questions will accurately reflect when the campaigns were waged and ended.  For example, Operation Husky began on July 9, 1943, so I will pose questions about the invasion of Sicily after the conclusion of the North Africa campaign, which ended in mid-May of the same year.  These questions will also be broad based to quiz our British collectors' knowledge about the campaigns.

I hope that the collectors on the forum are enjoying these questions.

Best,

Alex   

Post #29 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hi Guys,

I will post a few more quiz questions regarding the North Africa campaign and then move on with questions about the invasion of Sicily. 

The allies invaded the continent in early November 1942 in which two areas? 

And for our British counterparts, the famed 7th Armoured Division was given the nickname?  And what was the division's insignia and where did it come from?

Thanks,

Alex II

Post #30 Oldallamerican

Oldallamerican

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:59 PM

The British 7th Armoured Division (currently the British 7th Armoured Bde) were/are the original famed "Desert Rats." Their insignia represents that nickname; it's a red square patch with a white circle in the middle is a red "desert rat" standing up.

BTW: the US 7th Armored was the "Lucky 7" served with 3rd Army. US Armored Division patches triangular three colored patches (Armored Yellow, Infantry Blue, and Field Artillery Red) represent the three branches of combat arms not only by their colors but also by the cannon barrel, armored track (representing both tanks and mechanized infantry) and lightning bolt to represent speed in the attack. Sorry, couldn't help it. My first permanent duty assignment was with the 3rd Armored Division in Germany ("Spearhead) I love the paratroops and spent most of my career there, but wax sentimental about the "Third Herd" sometimes.

Oceania was at war with Eastasia. Oceania had always been at war with Eastasia

Post #31 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:39 AM

The British 7th Armoured Division (currently the British 7th Armoured Bde) were/are the original famed "Desert Rats." Their insignia represents that nickname; it's a red square patch with a white circle in the middle is a red "desert rat" standing up.

BTW: the US 7th Armored was the "Lucky 7" served with 3rd Army. US Armored Division patches triangular three colored patches (Armored Yellow, Infantry Blue, and Field Artillery Red) represent the three branches of combat arms not only by their colors but also by the cannon barrel, armored track (representing both tanks and mechanized infantry) and lightning bolt to represent speed in the attack. Sorry, couldn't help it. My first permanent duty assignment was with the 3rd Armored Division in Germany ("Spearhead) I love the paratroops and spent most of my career there, but wax sentimental about the "Third Herd" sometimes.

You are correct about the "Desert Rats"!  And thank you for sharing information about the U.S. 7th Armored Division. 

The two areas the Allies invaded on the African continent were Algiers and Oran.

I will post several more additional quiz questions about the North Africa campaign and then shift the focus to the invasion of Sicily.  The month of June is also right around the corner; therefore you will see questions pertaining to D-Day and the Allied advance across France. 

Thanks,

Alex II

Post #32 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

Hi Guys,

The three major divisions that took part in Operation Torch were the 1st Infantry (the "Big Red" One), the 1st Armored, and the 34th Infantry. 

Alex II

That's interesting,  I have seen a declassified CSI Battlebook for Torch that lists the 1st Infantry, 3rd Infantry,9th Infantry and 2nd Armored Divisions for the West Task Force, the 1st Infantry and 1st Armored for the Center Task Force and the 9th and 34th Infantry Divisions for the Eastern Task Force of Torch respectively.  Were you talking about the divisions that did most of the fighting?

Post #33 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

That's interesting,  I have seen a declassified CSI Battlebook for Torch that lists the 1st Infantry, 3rd Infantry,9th Infantry and 2nd Armored Divisions for the West Task Force, the 1st Infantry and 1st Armored for the Center Task Force and the 9th and 34th Infantry Divisions for the Eastern Task Force of Torch respectively.  Were you talking about the divisions that did most of the fighting?

Yes, the major fighting divisions.

Best,

Alex II

Post #34 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Hi Guys,

Here are the last questions pertaining to the North Africa campaign, then we will move on briefly to the invasion of Sicily because D-Day is right around the corner and there is a lot of information to cover.

1. What was Rommel's strategic plan of attack at the Kasserine Pass?
  2. The last German held port in Tunisia in 1943 was?
  3. The commander of Axis forces in North Africa at the time of surrender was?
  4. Did the Axis forces lose the initiative in World War II after their defeat in North Africa? 

Thanks,

Alex II

Post #35 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi Guys,

I am disappointed that there has been little interest in replying to the quiz questions.  I will skip the Italian campaign and post questions pertaining to D-Day over the next several days, given that the 70th anniversary of the invasion is just a few days away.  I hope for more participation from the members as a fun way to learn more about our hobby. 

Thanks,

Alex II

• Neil likes this

Post #36 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Hi Guys,

Tomorrow is the big day: D-Day!  Please remember those who sacrificed their lives for us on the beaches in northern France. 

Here is the quiz question:  Name the beaches assigned to the Americans and those assigned to the Canadians and British.  Briefly describe why they were assigned these beaches and the breakout objectives for each sector.  I look forward to your reponses. 

Thanks,

Alex II

Post #37 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,860 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

First the beaches

Utah - Omaha - US Troops

Juno - Sword - Gold    Brit and Canadian    

Which one was the Canadian one specifically ?

Post #38 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2014 - 07:14 AM

First the beaches

Utah - Omaha - US Troops

Juno - Sword - Gold    Brit and Canadian    

Which one was the Canadian one specifically ?

AC,

Juno Beach for the Canadians.  Now, what were the respective strategies for the American, British and Canadian armies once they expanded beyond the beaches?

Best,

Alex

Post #39 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,860 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

The Brits ans Canadians were to move on Caen and link with the US forces towards the West.

The American 4th Division was to move inland link up with the US Paras and then head West eventually towards Cherbourg 

The American 1st and 29th were to move inland link up with the Paras that landed the Night before, the 1st would move eventually towards the East to link up with the Brits around Bayeux to consolidate the front

Post #40 Guest_viking_*

Guest_viking_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

The Brits ans Canadians were to move on Caen and link with the US forces towards the West.

The American 4th Division was to move inland link up with the US Paras and then head West eventually towards Cherbourg 

The American 1st and 29th were to move inland link up with the Paras that landed the Night before, the 1st would move eventually towards the East to link up with the Brits around Bayeux to consolidate the front

Now who should be banned from answering the quiz questions?!  Nicely done!

Alex

Reply to this topic