• Neil likes this

Post #4 Larry_B

Larry_B

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,979 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:25 AM

That is so sweet. Did you use anything in particular as inspiration?

Larry

to live in truth to have faith to choose service to others to give proof of humility 
 - to love justice to be merciful to be sincere and wholehearted to stand for principles of love and service

Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta
(a.k.a. - Knights Hospitaller)

Post #5 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:29 AM

Blazing fast and really nicely done mate. B)  B)   You could almost make one want to pick up a tank. :o  :P   Do you have an plans for its use?

Post #6 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:36 AM

That is so sweet. Did you use anything in particular as inspiration?

Blazing fast and really nicely done mate. B)  B)   You could almost make one want to pick up a tank. :o  :P   Do you have an plans for its use?

Band of Brothers Episode 4.....but not in Holland.

I need to check whether they ripped off the front & back side fenders as well -- otherwise I'm not doing the diorama!

:blink:

• Neil likes this

Post #7 Firebat

Firebat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:47 AM

Nicely Done...and fast.

Posted Image

Post #8 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 12:36 PM

Excellent build. I love it

Post #9 Mark IV

Mark IV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 03:06 PM

Harry,

Really nicely done just got to love the leaves in the camo netting just adds to the weathering

Looking forward to the DIO this will go into

Mark

Post #10 Guest_Jazzeum_*

Guest_Jazzeum_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:56 PM

Outstanding Harry!

Post #11 Duke

Duke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 05:22 PM

Nice looking build.  I built this same model years ago.  Tamiya makes nice 1/35 scale armor.

• Neil likes this
Duke

Post #12 viking

viking

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:23 PM

Harry,

Great work!  Superb weathering and the camouflage netting, among other things, make the tank stand out.

Alex II  B)

Post #13 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:12 PM

Harry,

Really nicely done just got to love the leaves in the camo netting just adds to the weathering

Looking forward to the DIO this will go into

Mark

Aye, old anti-mosquito netting has it's uses. Trouble is; multiple layers looks okay, but a single layer looks more like chicken wire than British WW2 hessian netting.

So I'll order some of this stuff and see if it's any better. Verlinden does good camo netting as well.

Or then again, the gauze I used on that T72 worked fine as sacking, so perhaps if I teased it out into a more open weave then it might work for netting - so there's plenty options.

camo%20netting.jpg

• Mark IV likes this

Post #14 mitch

mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 10:36 AM

Nice build. I remember building hessian tape netting for my Brit armour with hessian tape or at one time with strips of paper and water based glue adding it to netting to get the brit look.

Mitch

The truth will set us free

Post #15 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:18 PM

Nice build. I remember building hessian tape netting for my Brit armour with hessian tape or at one time with strips of paper and water based glue adding it to netting to get the brit look.

Mitch

Yup, paper was what I was going to use but decided not to bother as I'll probably replace the netting anyway. That's why I didn't bother with tiedowns under the fenders either. although I'll add them with the replacement camo net.

PS. Historex Agents seem to be out of Verlinden netting, so I ordered the RiS equivalent instead.

Post #16 mitch

mitch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,852 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 03:32 PM

There are some good versions out now. I made some terrible looking netting on my first (and many more attempts at Brit netting) The tape is a better idea as you cut strips and place on moving the netting to where you want. Its been a while since I saw the Verlinden stuff or looked at the catalogue in depth. I mainly grab some decals and wall posters from their range which are excellent 

Mitch

The truth will set us free

Post #17 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:36 PM

There are some good versions out now. I made some terrible looking netting on my first (and many more attempts at Brit netting) The tape is a better idea as you cut strips and place on moving the netting to where you want. Its been a while since I saw the Verlinden stuff or looked at the catalogue in depth. I mainly grab some decals and wall posters from their range which are excellent 

Mitch

I considered using electrical insulating tape but reckoned it would be a real bitch trying to get paint to stick to it.

I'm now considering tiny strips of silk "dyed" with diluted acrylics, which I think would look more natural and "sit" better on the model.

I've found Verlinden to be a bit hit and miss to be honest. Some of their plaster scenics are an absolute waste of time and money. Same goes for their figures; some are good, some are dire. Their resin add-on parts and stowage needs a lot of work, but do tend to look okay once finished. 

Post #18 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2016 - 07:56 AM

Hey, some of the guys on the scale modelling forums I belong to have told me there's nuthin' wrong with my home-made camo netting and it looks okay. Must admit, that took me by surprise, given the level they're at. All the same, I'll wait until I actually see the RiS nets I ordered before I make a decision. I've also found some really tiny brass rod sitting around in one of my spares boxes. I think it was originally for pinning 28mm figures, but looks like it'll work for 1/35 scale tiedowns.

:)

Post #19 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

FWIW, I am with those guys.  I think it looks bloody convincing as is. B)

Post #20 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

FWIW, I am with those guys.  I think it looks bloody convincing as is. B)

Yeah, it's kind of growing on my now I've received a few stamps of approval. Think I'll still add some additional stowage and maybe re-arrange the netting on the starboard side of the turret. As usual, nuthin's ever truly finished as far as I'm concerned. Always have this urge to ficker around with things. 

Reply to this topic