Mark

Post #22 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2016 - 01:55 AM

Harry,

You certainly have been successful in making the thread interesting

Mark

Cheers Mark -- if guys like Bill who aren't really all that interested in post-19th century topics are enjoying this, then it's a surefire hit and makes the time spent putting these kind of threads together worthwhile.

Post #23 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:28 AM

Morning 25-Nov-2016

Anyway, getting back to where I left off last night, the turret was completed as far as I want to take it for now.

Have to mention that some of the parts in this kit are tiny. I had to drill out a locating hole and attach the part shown in the photo below. I'm all for reasonable accuracy, but this was verging on the ridiculous. Even with reading glasses reinforcing my opitivisor, I could hardly see the thing -- and certainly couldn't have attached it without those replacement needle-nose tweezers I bought recently -- one of my essential purchases seeing I ruined the last pair I had.

113.%20Turretl_25-Nov-2016.jpg

I really like the 76mm in this kit -- but the muzzle brake is assembled from 3 x separate parts and the seams were clearly visible. So I went over it with some Gunze Sangyo 1200 grade Mister Surfacer primer using the appropriate thinner to fan out the edges.

Once the topcoat went on, I honestly don't think you'd ever guess that it isn't a turned aluminium gun barrel.

I've been using this stuff for years on figures, (more usually the thicker 500 grade), and it's a brilliant product. Pretty economical too as I'm still using the examples I originally purchased around 2007.

114.%20Turretl_25-Nov-2016.jpg

So with the turret finished (for now) I separated the hull again -- cos I want unrestricted access for adding dried mud and dust into the lower hull at a later stage -- the main assemblies were thrown into my painting booth for a topcoat of olive drab.

Remember I mentioned the hint of grey that, right or wrong, I see in the uniforms worn by WW2 American Paras? Well, after a quick birl with Ye Olde Home-Made Cheapo Paint Stirrer....

115.%20Paint%20Stirrer_25-Nov-2016.jpg

....a few drops of Andrea mid-grey were added to the olive drab already in the airbrush cup -- and the Tank Riders were basecoated as well.

116.%20Tank%20Riders_25-Nov-2016.jpg

While I was at it, the lower hull and running gear on this new acquisition was given a few blasts as well, in preparation for a future comprehensive weathering job.

117.%20FoV%20Lee_25-Nov-2016.jpg

So, while the topcoat on the main assemblies are drying out, I'll get on with painting the various pioneer tools and other accessories this afternoon; and shall post the update tonight.

:)

Cheers

H

• Mark IV likes this

Post #24 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

Evening 25-Nov-2016

By about mid-afternoon, the topcoat was dry enough that I could work with the assemblies again, so it was time to get the gunk on.

I'm not concerned about the overpaints on the small return rollers. They'll disappear once I go to town with the weathering and get the tracks on.

118.%20Turret_25-Nov-2016.jpg

Talking of the tracks, I got them done as well -- both sides. I might just highlight the links on the front of the tracks a little bit more. Dunno yet, and I'll decide on that one after I get them onto the running gear.

119.%20Tracks_25-Nov-2016.jpg 

I used Humbrol Clearfix to attach the "bulletproof glass" in the commander's cupola. This stuff was developed so that canopies and suchlike could be installed on aircraft models without the obvious lines that result from using regular polystyrene glue, and it worked beautifully for the clear plastic parts I was installing into the cupola.

120.%20Turret_25-Nov-2016.jpg

This is a good shot of that really nice gun barrel and the clean-up job on the turret interior.

121.%20Turret_25-Nov-2016.jpg

And then the pioneer tools were attached. 

The upper hull and turret look rather pristine compared to the lower hull, which was now beginning to dry out, as can be seen in this final shot from tonight. That's because I expect all that gunk to lighten up even more by the time I get back to this wee project tomorrow morning -- and a fair amount of those pigments are coming back off the running gear and that differential drive housing anyway, while leaving it on the lower hull itself.

122.%20Tank_25-Nov-2016.jpg

So once I've carried out some clean-up jobs here and there on the model tomorrow morning, I'll be applying a few controlled pin washes to the running gear, a few streaks of oil & grime, some very light touches of rust in the appropriate locations -- and then an overall dust wash just to tie everything together.

Those two jerrycans and the tarp on the back rack are not fixed on at this point in time. In fact, I'm not fixing the spare track links, shackles, towing cable, or anything else, in place until the Verlinden Fury aftermarket set has been delivered and I've figures out where all the additional accessories are going to go.

Cheers

H

• Shiloh likes this

Post #25 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2016 - 10:46 AM

Wow, a great thread got better overnight (for me) Harry.  I love the shots and explanation of the issues you dealt with so far in bringing this beast to life.  It takes me back (a little) to my childhood modeling days when I did make a number of tanks, ships and airplanes.  Unfortunately, I did not have your skill set or level of mastery of these techniques so not surprisingly, the results were not nearly as pleasing.  Still, it kept me off the streets into my teenage years.  I hope you continue to post these, they are very interesting and fun to follow.

Post #26 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 08:38 PM

Excellent work in progress. 

Post #27 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2016 - 06:27 AM

Wow, a great thread got better overnight (for me) Harry.  I love the shots and explanation of the issues you dealt with so far in bringing this beast to life.  It takes me back (a little) to my childhood modeling days when I did make a number of tanks, ships and airplanes.  Unfortunately, I did not have your skill set or level of mastery of these techniques so not surprisingly, the results were not nearly as pleasing.  Still, it kept me off the streets into my teenage years.  I hope you continue to post these, they are very interesting and fun to follow.

Excellent work in progress. 

Thanks guys, glad you're enjoying the ride.

Post #28 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2016 - 07:53 AM

Evening 26-Nov-2016

First job this morning was to separate the assemblies yet again. Three reasons; 

1/ Because all the main hatches are going to be open, I needed to finish painting the internals in an off-white color.

2/ I wanted to add some crud to the bottom of the side fenders.

3/ Separating the hulls makes it easier to clean up the running gear.

So, after a clean-up and a few selective "pin" washes onto the lower hull, here's the first of the "sludge" washes applied to the upper hull.

125.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

This is the second "sludge" wash. Doesn't look all that different from the first one does it? In actual fact -- it is different. It's a bit more diluted and a slightly darker color than the first overall wash.

127.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

Here's where I was at by lunchtime today. As you can see, the weathering process was beginning to exhibit some good results.

126.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

So, by mid-afternoon I'd got the remaining sections of the hull interior painted.

The tracks were next -- and the easiest method I figured out for getting the things on without breaking any components in the running gear was to remove the two return rollers on either side of the lower hull, install the tracks onto the drive sprockets then thread them along the suspension bogies and guide wheels on the top run. The return rollers were then replaced into the tracks, and it was now a simple job to locate them in place on the lower hull without stressing any single part of the running gear. Or at least it should have been a simple job -- only, and naturally enough, I managed to put the tracks on back-to-front. So off they came again, to be installed the correct way round this time.

After that little job was out the way I put the assemblies together again, and it was then just a case of adding more washes until I was happy with the resulting dusty look. Once the washes were dry, I applied some gloss varnish to the areas where the decals would be located and got them onto the model.

Various stains and streaks of grime went on next and some pigments were added to the upper hull and turret to simulate dried mud. I then carried out some final checks and adjustments to the weathering until I eventually ended up with this....

143.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

142.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

144.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

141.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

I still have to add the clear plastic lenses to the lights, and of course I've left the spare track links off for the time being, but that's the model essentially finished until the Verlinden "Fury" set turns up. I've mentioned that aftermarket set several times. Here's the catalog picture showing all the additional bits & bobs.

133.%20Fury%20Stowage.jpg

So hopefully, by the time I get all that onto the model it'll end up looking something like this.

134.%20Fury.jpg

Meanwhile, this Easy-Eight can just sit in the display cabinet where I can admire it to my hearts content.

134.%20Cabinet_26-Nov-2016.jpg

Now I need to decide what next?

Well, the Italeri M4A1 was delivered this morning, so it'll likely be it next -- or the Academy M18 -- or both kind of simultaneously.

But I've also got one hellacious amount of figures to be painted, plus two dioramas are patiently waiting in the background for the groundwork to be shoveled onto their bases. 

Oh well, that's a decision for tomorrow.

Cheers

H

• Shiloh and cnq like this

Post #29 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:26 AM

Additional Photo's:-

135.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

139.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

137.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

138.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

136.%20Weathering_26-Nov-2016.jpg

• Mark IV and SASR like this

Post #30 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 November 2016 - 09:38 AM

Love the end result and very much enjoyed the ride getting there. B)  B)  B) 

Post #31 cnq

cnq

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

WOW very nice weathering. It's looking excellent already. 

Post #32 SASR

SASR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 12:07 AM

Excellent result .

Post #33 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 12:57 AM

Love the end result and very much enjoyed the ride getting there. B)  B)  B)

WOW very nice weathering. It's looking excellent already. 

Excellent result .

Thanks all, but hot digitty dang -- I'm still waiting for that Verlinden aftermarket resin detail set to be delivered. Andrea's earth color pigment set is also included on that order and I really want to try them out as well.... :(

Post #34 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:38 PM

Remind us Harry, what Verilin kit is that?  I know you posted it somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

Post #35 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

Remind us Harry, what Verilin kit is that?  I know you posted it somewhere but I can't seem to find it now.

The Verlinden "Fury" stowage set

133.%20Fury%20Stowage.jpg

I cancelled the Bravo6 "Fury Tank Crew" set -- I already have plenty options for WW2 US Tankers from Alpine Miniatures, Tamiya and Masterbox

Post #36 Guest_Spitfrnd_*

Guest_Spitfrnd_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2016 - 02:37 PM

Ah yes, remember seeing it now, thanks for the reminder.

Post #37 Guest_Harrytheheid_*

Guest_Harrytheheid_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

Ah yes, remember seeing it now, thanks for the reminder.

Why, you're most welcome

Reply to this topic